Saturday, May 29, 2010

Wimps Not Allowed

Recently I have heard more stories than I have wanted about seemingly strong believers in Christ walking away from the faith and living in their sin comfortably. Some of them I knew better than others and that is hard to swallow. It is actually very discouraging and it grieves my heart. I asked myself, "How did they get there? What did they begin to compromise early on that seemed like no big deal?"

It led me to really question myself about my love for Jesus. Do I really love him? Do I love the truth in His Word? I think that at the root of sin is unbelief. Unbelief in who God has said He is. Unbelief that He will act on His promises. When I worry, I doubt God and His goodness or His plan for me.

Then I opened to 2 Timothy. Paul is facing execution and he writes this letter to Timothy, who has been like a mentoree to Paul. Paul gives a few names of people who were seemingly following Christ and His truth and then walked away. He reminds him to:

* be strengthened by the grace of Christ Jesus
* By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you
* If we have died with him, we will also live with him,; if we endure; we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful------- for he cannot deny himself.
* Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.
* There are people who are burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, always learning and never able to arrive at the knowledge of the truth.
*Continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed
* All Scripture is breathed out by God...... that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
* I have finished the race and have kept the faith

I think God sovereignly woke me up today to remind me to remain steadfast in Him, His Word, and in the fellowship of His people. There will always be appealing offers to walk away but they will lead to a Christ-less life and I cannot live without Him. Don't compromise your love for your Savior for anything; it just doesn't seem work it.

No comments: