Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Living For the Eternal

This is one of the hardest things to do because we feel like temporary beings. But we're not, we will live somewhere eternally after our earthly death. God's Word says things like:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth.... for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also....... each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will show will test the quality of each man's work.....being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord...."

Christ is my purpose for living. God has made each day new. He holds my every breath in his hand. Christ has made me a new creature and I am His.

So why do I think and choose activities everyday that sometimes do not reflect this amazing truth? Because I am selfish, WAY too independent, and controlling. Isn't this a joke to trade my Father's precious gifts to me for MY wishes and wants. And it really only buys me about 1 hour of happiness, if even that much.

I want to drink in more of His Word instead of this world. I don't want to just know His Word, although that is wonderful, I want to LOVE His Word. I want to love His Word and His truth. A love for Him and His truth will affect everything else I choose to do.

I have been budgeting for the summer, for a couple trips Drew and I are taking, planning meals, and bought some summer clothes. These things are good to do and fun sometimes but I never want them to become something I do just for the here and now. What I do now and how I spend my days matters.

If I am living just for this earth, I am going to be more concerned with people's approval than God's truth.
If I am living just for this earth, I am going to be more concerned with possessions rather than loving and giving generously.
If I am living just for this earth, that is just silly. If you don't know if you believe all this, or God, or in Jesus Christ, or what His truth is, let's talk.

Thank you Christ for giving me life, purpose, hope, and every day to live for you.

No comments: