Thursday, June 10, 2010

What Do I Love? or Who Do I Love?

First John 2:15-17 was such a good reminder for me this morning:

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world- the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions- is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever."

Too often, I allow the world and all its empty promises of fulfillment and complete satisfaction, to infiltrate my mind. I want to feel important or of some worth, so I go to my favorite store and buy just a "little something" to fill that void of importance or worth. I am feeling a little down about myself so in order to make myself feel and look better, I am willing to flatten someone else's character, even if it's not verbal but I can be thinking it.

I am forgetting the gospel in those moments. I am forgetting that I am a daughter of the King and that He has cleansed and redeemed me, and that alone is where I should rest. I couldn't have dug out of my debt of sin for a 1,000 or 1,000,000 days in order to be free. I can't, but He did.

My clothes will fade away, that kitchen tool that I've always wanted will go out of style, my car will eventually croak, but Jesus, the gospel, and His Word will always remain! They never change and that is reason enough and ever to rest in Him forever.

No comments: