Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Joy of Hospitality


This book is teaching me something new or something that I would like to put into practice each time I open it. I'm only in Chapter 3, but it is a book that is geared towards women who want to use their home to honor Christ.

Chapter 3 has stuck out the most to me due to its emphasis on showing hospitality to your own immediate family first before you should extend hospitality to others. Our first responsibility should be to our husbands and children, otherwise we will be big hypocrites.


Here are some ideas that the book gives that you can put this into practice:
- plan special events for your family: game night, Mexican night, popcorn and movie night, dessert day!, go-out-to-eat for fun. These special nights/ events will give your family something to look forward to and will create a fun evening for everyone.
- For birthdays, establish a few things throughout the day that will really make the birthday person feel loved and appreciated. They mentioned that each birthday something unexpected (that is good) should happen.
- leaving notes around the house for your family showing them encouragement, support, and love.
- If you are married, partner with your husband in the making of these special events. If you are single, partner with a good friend/ sibling to create these special events for other people.

How am I going to apply this to my family of Drew and I?????

This week I am making Drew's favorite dessert: funfetti cupcakes from a box. It's what the man requested, it's easy and quick, what a great husband! We are having his favorite meal first- green apple pork chops, lemon-butter noodles, and fresh green beans. And then on to the cupcakes!!!
Next week, I'm making tacos and we're having a Mexican night. I bought fun Fiesta plates and some streamers. Maybe we'll even play a game.

I think these are small steps to starting to show hospitality even when it is just Drew and I. Being intentional with the people that you love the most really allows them to see Christ's character more clearly and it encourages them.
Romans 12:13 ~ Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Our heavenly Father has adopted me into His family and has welcomed me and given me an eternal inheritance that will never perish or fade away. How can I refuse to show love to someone or refuse to welcome someone after all that he has done for me?

1 comment:

Kirra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.