Monday, July 26, 2010

True Rest is Soul Rest

I love being a teacher for a million reasons, one of them just happens to include:

SUMMER VACATION!!!!!

This summer has been the most different summer I have ever had. It is physically and spiritually restful. Matthew 11:28-29 comes to mind:

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

This verse is specifically talking about SOUL REST no matter what season of life you are in; busy or not-so-busy. For me, during the school year there are so many things for me to focus on other than finding my peace and satisfaction in Christ. I was reminded last night by our speaker at church, am I really relying on the Holy Spirit or Ashley?

This summer has been quiet, not busy, do-whatever-i-want-everyday, and pick up things I really enjoy. As strange as this will sound, it was hard to learn how to do this. I don't like days of quietness because I can hear my restlessness inwardly. It's awkward. But you know what I have needed that God has been trying to show me before now: my sin, His grace and love, and how to genuinely rest in Him.

The Holy Spirit is convicting me of sin, He is helping me to first confess it! This is hard even to confess sin sometimes! First, I HAVE to recognize my sin to see just how much I really need my Savior Jesus Christ.

I know that school is getting closer, the usual fall busyness will come, and life will seem a little hectic at times, but what God is teaching me this summer, I want to carry with me throughout the school year. I want to rest in Him, worry is a sin, but I want my soul to rest in Him.

Here is what He has allowed me to do this summer because it is so restful:
- Read (for hours)
- write notes again
- spend longer time with people, I never have to rush off
- be with my husband on his day off and sleep in
- sufficiently train for the marathon
- be available for people
- clean out the corners of our apt.
- enjoy the sounds of the morning without rushing anywhere
- getting to know the family I tutor for even better (love that family!)
- preparing for the '10-'11 school year
- sit outside
- go on vacation

I know this is just for a season. And I will try to not forget all the time He gave me, when the fall hits. But I ALWAYS want to remember to lean on Him, to place my entire trust in Him, to be still and listen, and to be thankful for the small things in life.

No comments: