Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2010 Running Lessons

Here are some tips that I have learned even this year from training for this race:

1. stretch, stretch, and more stretch! Stretch before you run, right after you run, and the day after you run. Try stretching everyday.
2. If you get shin splints or some type of muscle tear, just wait 3-4 days before running. Don't rush or it will get worse, did that and it was awful! During the wait, you can eliptical or walk and work on upper body.
3. the stronger the abs, the stronger you might run ( i still need to work harder on this one)
4. It's all a mind-game. Bring scripture, music, prayer cards, etc.
5. Smile or talk to yourself when you feel like giving up. I tell myself, "Don't be a wimp, c'mon!" (and sometimes I'll clap to get myself going, i look funny, yes.)
6. Don't run if you have a sinus-infection or any congestion in the head (it might be just me, but the last 2 times I have come down with migraines, blech)
7. Find someone to hold you accountable. Drew is that for me right now because we are both training for the same race.
8. If you are running for more than 10 miles, bring a 'baby-Gatorade' on your run because it could really energize you throughout your run.
9. mapmyrun.com (AWESOME site!)
10. Buy shorts that have a tiny pocket on the inside of the shorts to store a car or house key. That way you don't have to hold anything while you run.

Goals I have (Lord-willing):
1. I want to get faster. I would like to run 10:00 miles throughout the entire marathon. Idealistically, I want to run 9:45 miles but I have to think realistically.
2. I will be doing more calisthenics to work on my speed.
3. Doing 100-150 situps/ab-work every other day.
4. From here on out on all my runs, no walking, unless I have a serious injury or migraine.
5. Do hill-work 1-2 times per week.

Prayer for:
1. Drew and I's health. I have had so many colds this year and last that I get so nervous that I will get one the day of the marathon and not be able to complete it. Please pray for this one the most!!!
2. Stamina of heart, mind, and muscles. Even though I am only 26 soon to be 27, I run very different compared to the marathon I did just 5 years ago. (I'm slower and not as strong)
3. That all this running would glorify God and draw me closer to Him.

No comments: