Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our Home

Drew and I are moved out of our beloved apartment in Stow, Ohio and jumped to the next town to live for a year. We are trusting the Lord with this year and if He wills we will hopefully buy a home.

It is crazy how much time looking at homes online can consume my time. And then, add watching HouseHunters in the mix of time, and then not have I only wasted time but now I can begin to covet bigger homes with newer and more shiny things.

Honestly, I want this year to be one that we can be generous: with our time, money, and resources. So much thought about buying a home can make me want to 'hunker-down' on the finances, miss out on spending time with people, and just make me greedy in many areas of my life.

And I'm thinking...... that's NOT what I am supposed to be because so many passages in Scripture talk about giving, being generous, giving willingly, and living like Christ. Who, if I remember right, Christ never bought a home and I am positive he never worried about the fact that he really didn't have a home on this earth.

And then, I remember that my real home is with Him. I know people will say, "Well, it's not wrong to want things on this earth." Honestly, my problem is ---- I KNOW THAT ALL TOO WELL. and I want my earthly home more than I want my heavenly home. I want the earthly toys more than I want to grow in my likeness to my Father.

Gosh, sometimes it is SO hard to remember this. This is a season in my life where this just falls naturally in place with the "recipe of life"- go to college, graduate, get married, work, buy a home, have children, and on and on..... People around me are having babies, buying homes, and getting bigger toys than me.

I confess to my Father for my greed, discontentment, and selfishness and ask His forgiveness. I want to rejoice every day and not have to think once about the fact that I don't have this or that. I want to bask in the gift of redemption that He has given to me. I want to have an attitude of thankfulness and continuously remember his faithfulness.

Just this week, we got a flat tire and ended up replacing 2 tires. Gulp. Tires are expensive, who knew? Instead of thanking God for keeping us safe, the fact that we even get to have a car, for the money to pay for the tires, instead I became upset and pouted about spending that money when we could have had that for something else. I really was a brat.

My husband, has a line in one of his songs, "This world is not my home.... I'm just passing through.... My eyes are on the city paved of gold...." These things will all burn but have I lived a life honoring to God in faithful obedience? I strive to rest more in Him and less in myself.

1 comment:

Kirra said...

I love it Ash. So refreshing to read. Thanks for being honest. I'm right here with ya- struggling & remembering that what's to come is so much better than the here and now. We love you & Drewbie so much. Been thinking about you guys all day. Hope you had a great Anniversary!!!