Sunday, September 7, 2008

Retreat

This weekend I went on a retreat to The Pines in good 'ol Fremont, Ohio. A one day retreat hardly allows me to be still before the Lord but you know, this retreat really allowed me to think about God, Christ, people, and how I fit in.

Older women are a treat to be around when you are 25 years old. I have spent 5 years in college with all people my age or younger. One thing I learned that sticks out so clearly is to not judge. Christ died on the cross to demolish sin and the disunity among His people.

Gossip is poison and what is the root and effect of gossip?... judging a person and allowing others to get in on it. I have witnessed in my own life how poisonous gossip is and have been challenged to stop, just stop.

Philippians 4:8 commands our minds to dwell on what is good, praiseworthy, pure, just, etc. How much more could I encourage someone for the work that they are doing, or for just who they are instead of trying to find one fault in them in order to exalt myself?

Jesus picked and hung out with 12 guys who had lots of problems...like me. But I bet Jesus didn't go around telling everyone how much money Matthew may have stolen as a tax collector. I know he didn't go around and told the other disciples how the 3 chosen disciples kept falling asleep while at the Garden of Gethsemene, and many other stories. Christ took those 12 guys and all their faults and gave them his trust. He entrusted these 12 to spread the gospel after he would be gone.

Christians are sinners; not perfect, sinless creatures. Unfortunately, because of sin, we are not able to be perfect on earth. And maybe I should pull off my mask of perfection and allow others to see the dirt, wrinkles, and scars.

It is my goal this year not to judge or gossip about people.
I need prayer.


No comments: